scroll down to view
Charles River Estate
Settled in the rural outskirts of Boston, the Charles River Estate is a circa-1900 stucco country place sited on more than four acres of pastoral land. Perched on the highest point of the property, the residence looks east through mature trees to the Charles River, and west across a sweeping meadow. New owners with a young family acquired the estate and sought to restore and enhance the landscape.
Drawing from the classical tradition, a series of garden rooms were created to provide transitions from the west and south sides of the residence. These spaces include a lawn terrace, dining terrace, and a pool garden, all of which are planted with a restrained palette of green and white to complement the setting.
Existing stone walls were restored and modified, while new masonry stairs and piers were designed to match the existing craftsmanship. Traditional crossbuck gates and fences with traditional motifs complement the character of adjacent natural stone. A palette of natural materials in concert with traditional New England craftsmanship defines this property’s character and sense of place.